HAV Capital, LLC Achieves LEED Certification
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high-performance green buildings. HAV Capital, LLC achieved LEED Certification by incorporating the following sustainable design principles and practices:
- Greenfields and existing habitats are preserved as natural outdoor spaces by locating the project on a previously developed site near services and high-density residential zoning.
- Alternative transportation is promoted by providing bicycle racks, showers and changing rooms for employees.
- The building’s light-colored roofing helps maintain consistent indoor temperatures and reduces dependence on HVAC systems.
- Efficient mechanical systems are installed to reduce energy consumption.
- Existing walls, floors and structure were reused to limit the use of virgin resources.
- Instead of sending construction waste to landfills, 75% of waste was diverted to be recycled.
- Low flow water fixtures, native planting and an efficient irrigation system has been designed to reduce water consumption by 30%.
- New wood products used on the project were harvested using sustainable practices.
- Indoor contaminants were reduced through good construction practices and flushing out the air in the building.
- Low-emitting flooring, paints, coatings, adhesives, and sealants are used to reduce indoor contaminants.
- Composite wood or agrifiber products used in this project contain zero added urea formaldehyde.
- Low-mercury lamps and lighting is installed to reduce the amount of toxic substances in the building.
- All exterior doors and windows utilize low-e insulated glazing units to further reduce heat gain in the building.
- Operable transom windows are installed to promote cross ventilation.
- Light pollution is kept to a minimum by directing outdoor lights downward and keeping interior lights from spilling into exterior spaces.
- As much as possible, recycled materials have been utilized throughout the project.
About Our Design Team
We started dreaming about our new office space with our general contractors, DC Dempsey Construction & Legacy Building Services.. Specializing as a design+build firm, Dempsey+Legacy were instrumental in developing the vision and scope of the project. They efficiently dismantled our existing building, while saving as much original material as possible to reduce our construction waste footprint. The new, airy, and comfortable working environment is a testament to their design ethics and construction skills.
LPA, Inc., based in Irvine, California, specializes in sustainable design architecture. Legacy+Dempsey brought LPA on board to bring our brainstorms and ideas to life with their skillful renderings and sustainably minded artistry.
From initial contact to finishing touches, Dempsey+Legacy & LPA have been wonderful collaborators, innovators and artists. We greatly appreciate our new working environment and look forward to receiving friends through our doors.